By Carrie Pinkard
It’s difficult to go on social media for more than a few minutes without being barraged by messages about self-care. It can feel like an elite influencer club that you’re not a part of. But the truth is, self-care doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. You shouldn’t have to take out a second mortgage and run away to Bali in order to feel better about yourself.
We’re breaking down 25 little ways you can love yourself and practice self-care every day, We also have a bangin’ playlist for you at the end called “Self-Love Motherf**ker,” so stay tuned!
- Get dressed up for no fucking reason
- Take self-portraits of yourself. It’s a fun and creative way to capture your essence and learn more about your own face in the process.
- Paint your nails an insane color. No, more insane than that.
- Have a dance party to the songs you listened to and loved in high school.
- Stretch for 5 minutes before bed.
- Buy your own damn roses. Or even better, your own damn rose tea.
- Write a physical list of all the things you like about yourself. Read it aloud whenever you start to doubt how great you are.
- Wink at yourself whenever you pass a mirror.
- Move your body, but only in ways that feel good to you. Stop forcing yourself into exercise routines that you hate.
- Purge your closet of clothes that no longer serve your body, style, and life.
- Take time and space away from loved ones to reset.
- Learn to say no in 5 different languages and then practice saying no to things you don’t want to do.
- Binge watch a guilty pleasure show.
- Develop a twice a day skincare routine and enjoy the process of tending to your gorgeous face morning and night.
- Floss!! To quote Sarah Silverman, “Death creeps in through the gums.”
- Drink a huge glass of water. Better yet, drink out of a healthy-sized water bottle like our “Stay Hydrated and Minds Your Own Business” 32 oz Nalgene bottle.
- Remove people from your life if they don’t treat you with kindness and respect.
- Eat the god damn cheeseburger.
- Forgive yourself for that embarrassing thing you said. Absolutely no one is still thinking about it.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Put on some red lipstick.
- Keep track of your successes and stop obsessing over rejections/failures.
- Learn a new cake recipe and bake an entire cake for yourself.
- Take an extravagantly long nap.
- Breathe in, breathe out. You got this.
Self Love Playlist
Now you have some fresh ideas on little ways to practice self-care. At the end of the day, self-care is just checking in on you. Figuring out what it is you want in the moment and not depriving yourself of what you need. How do you practice self-love? Tell us in the comments!